top of page

Housing Rights for Survivors

Sexual assault survivors may want to move to protect their safety. If you live in on-campus housing, and want to move, you can request an accommodation from your Title IX coordinator.


If you live off-campus in a home where you pay rent, under RCW 59.18.575 you have the right to break your lease early if you’ve been sexually assaulted, without having to pay additional rent. To access this option, you must follow the required legal procedure. For information about what steps you need to take, read Washington Law Help’s guide, Landlord Tenant Issues for Survivors. This guide includes sample letters for you to use and it will help you understand what you need to do to protect your rights.

If you have trouble getting a landlord or a housing manager to comply with the law, you can contact an attorney to help you.

bottom of page